Leaky Gut Syndrome develops when inflammation or damage occurs to the mucosal lining of the small bowel resulting in large spaces developing in the mucosa, which allows bacteria, fungi, toxins, and food particles to escape into the bloodstream. Antibodies then develop against these foreign invaders, which results in these antibodies damaging the patient’s own healthy tissues. The root cause of this condition is the western diet of high fat, high carbohydrate, and highly processed foods with the consumption of large amounts of additives and preservatives. People with a lack of specific immunoglobulins, such as IgA (due to an immune disorder) may develop this syndrome. Other immune disorders may occur as a result of this condition or may give rise to this syndrome, creating a vicious circle of perpetuating the underlying condition. In situations of abnormal growth of bacteria or fungi giving rise to “leaky gut syndrome”, the condition is known as dysbiosis.
Symptoms of Leaky Gut
- Feeling sluggish or tired
- Frequent indigestion, heartburn, bloating and gas
- Sensitivities to certain foods, even ones you have enjoyed without incident for years
- Persistent “brain fog” characterized by a cloudy memory and lack of focus
- Changes in your skin such as dark circles under your eyes or inflamed skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and acne
- Seasonal allergies or asthma
- Hormonal imbalances
- Diagnosis of candida overgrowth
- Diagnosis of chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
Causes of Leaky Gut Syndrome
- Poor diet
- Chronic stress
- Toxin overload
- Bacterial imbalance
- How Do You Fix Leaky Gut Syndrome
In functional, holistic medicine, we look at the underlying, root cause of a condition and address it with a patient-centered focus. We evaluate lifestyle factors, environment, genetics, and history, and address individual aspects with a systems-oriented approach.
Unlike most modern physicians, we don’t turn to prescription medications as a first resort. Our goal is to not only heal you naturally but to identify what is really causing your issue. For instance, most modern physicians would prescribe prescription strength corticosteroid cream for patients with dermatitis or inflammation of the skin.
In many cases, leaky gut syndrome is the root cause of many problematic conditions. Leaky gut syndrome left untreated can leave you exposed to a lifelong risk of excessive inflammatory response and a predisposition to autoimmune disease.